Coming home from a long day of teaching to a hungry family usually means I stop at the drive through on the way home. However, like many I am working on the, “new year new me,” motto and trying to feed both my family and myself healthier. I thought about what was currently in stock in my fridge/freezer and was excited to realize I had everything to make spicy chicken! This is a favorite in my household and can be adapted easily to what I have in the freezer or fridge. (I am all about easily adaptable recipes and not having to make a grocery run!) For tonight I had chicken breasts and green beans but you can easily use salmon, shrimp, or chicken thighs. The vegetable substitutes are also endless my favorites are the green beans but broccoli is also a family favorite with this recipe.
This meal took around a half hour to make, was little to no prep, and did not make a mess! I finished up the meal quickly, placed a few lemon slices on top, and voila chicken masterpiece fit for dinner! My family gobbled down their meal with no complaints and clean up was a breeze so I am now ready to find a place on my couch to relax with a good book for the rest of the evening before life starts all over again tomorrow.
Spicy Chicken Skillet Meal
This one skillet meal is quick, easy, and has minimal clean-up. Perfect for a busy evening and will have your family begging for more.
-This meal will work with chicken, shrimp, or salmon just adjust your cooking times to make sure your meat or seafood is properly cooked. -You can use different vegetables that you have on hand. I have used whole green beans (Fresh or Frozen), broccoli (fresh or frozen), asparagus, or carrots (fresh or frozen). I am sure a vegetable melody of broccoli, carrots, and zucchini would be awesome as well.
- 3 Chicken breasts (I cut mine in half if they are very thick)
- 1 Steam Fresh Bag of whole Green Beans
- 4 Tablespoons of Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves Minced
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp of Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes (Omit these if you want a less spicy chicken)
- 1 tbs. of Honey
- 2 tbs. dried parsley
- Mix paprika, onion powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and set to the side.
- Cut chicken breasts to desired thickness and then sprinkle spice mixture on each piece of chicken. Set aside.
- Microwave green beans one minute less than what the directions of the bag requires. (You will finish cooking them later on.) (If using fresh place green beans in a bowl with 1/2 cup water and cook in the microwave for 8 minutes.)
- Place 2 tablespoons of butter into your skillet and heat on medium. Place the chicken breasts into the pan and cook around 6 minutes on each side until the internal temperature reaches 165 F. (Cooking time will vary based on the thickness of the chicken.)
- Once chicken breasts are cooked remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add minced garlic, red pepper flakes, parsley, green beans (drained if water was used), and remaining 2 tbls of butter. Cook green beans for 3-4 minutes stirring regularly.
- Add honey, chicken broth, and juice of half of the lemon to the green beans and reduce sauce for a few minutes.
- Add the chicken breasts back to the pan to reheat. Once heated serve with slices of lemon as a garnish.